I really need some guidance, and I am asking you for your advice.
By the way, this is officially the 100th post on this blog.
Is it time to get my own site?
Sunday morning sadness has me contemplating life and blogging again. I am well aware that I did not post a Featured Friday post the other day, and this was intentional. You see, I’m torn between blogging for free and getting my own website.
I also wanted to do something special for my 100th post, and was going to post my announcement that I’m going to be moving to my own site, but I need some questions answered before making that leap. I know I’ve mentioned this a few times already, and there are two things holding me back: my fears and my unwillingness to start fresh. I’m used to how things work right now, and I’ve been looking for answers all week long.
I’ve also been doing research for the past week, looking for domain names and searching for possible hosts. I have even been designing a logo and image to use on a new site I want to create. On one hand, I’m really positive, but on the other, I’m really depressed and confused.
I don’t often write posts and then hit the “publish” button anymore; I schedule my posts. Not this one, though. This one is going live as soon as I’m done. I’m really frustrated at the moment and am starting to have a love-hate relationship with blogging.
Some days I simply love it and can’t get enough of it, while other days I dread turning my laptop on. I know you all have felt this way at some point, haven’t you?
Today, I am appealing to you to
1. forgive me for posting on a Sunday.
2. help me answer some of my questions
3. give me a virtual hug. (I really need one. I’ve been recovering slowly from my recent surgery and really hate how my leg looks. I got the rest of my stitches out on Friday and it’s going to take longer than anyone expected for me to get better. Yep, I’m sad and depressed, and I’m not handling things very well.)
What’s really frustrating is that I’m not technical and hate feeling inferior.
When it comes to blogging, I cannot help but compare myself to others. I think we all do that, but don’t ever want to admit it. As a perfectionist, this is particularly hard for me, because I want to know how to do certain things and, despite searching endlessly for answers, experimenting with different programs, testing things out, I still cannot seem to learn random things, even when I ask others for help.
Yep, searching endlessly is really starting to piss me off.
So now I’m appealing to you. Yes, YOU. I need your help.
I’m going to ask you some questions, and if you know the answers to any of them, I’d like for you to either (a) tell me in the comment section or (b) email me privately at [email protected] with your response.
Here are my questions:
1. If I move to my own site, how are my followers going to know when I’ve published a new post? (Yes, I’m still going to use WordPress as my blogging platform.) I ask this because I have followers via email but more via the WordPress reader.
2. How do I get my posts show up in your WordPress reader?
3. Will you still have the option to “like” my posts? What do I have to do to give you that option?
4. How are images like this one (of the guy holding a stop sign) created? I’d like to learn how to make some of my own for my blog posts, without having to rely on others to do so.
5. If I get my own site, will I have to install a commenting system or does one come with it? Or do I have the option of upgrading to a CommentLuv system, and how much will it cost?
6. If I get my own site, will I have to install sharing buttons or do they come with it? Or do I have the option of installing something like SexyBookmarks or SassyBookmarks, if that’s what I want? Or can I upgrade to something like Share+? Do you have one you’d like to recommend?
7. How do I make things downloadable? For example, say I have a Word document or handout booklet that I have created and want to give to my readers, and instead of giving them a FREE PDF Planner, how can I make this something they can download?
I’m sure I have more questions, but for now, these are the ones I currently need answers to – and I’m relying on YOU to help me out.
I’d also like you to share this post on as many social platforms as possible so that all of these questions get answered. I know that there are helpful people like me out there (I help others whenever I can, out of the goodness of my heart) and we need to tap into their brains and hope that they’ll step up and share their knowledge.
Thank you for coming to my rescue. I hate feeling frustrated and stupid.