Someone on Facebook messaged me the other day, asking “What is blogging?”
I was a bit speechless. I didn’t know how to answer, because really, how can you explain what blogging is to someone who doesn’t really know?
So I directed him to my post 5 Things New Bloggers Need to Know, and said, “This will help you.”
Yet… just four years ago, I had the same question.
I was a newbie blogger back then.
I was clueless.
And I still remember the struggles I’ve endured over the years as I’ve journeyed from “newbie” to “pro.”
It wasn’t easy. It was time-consuming. I was constantly learning. (I still am!)
To help speed up my learning process, I followed these 8 Action Tips For Guppy-Bloggers In An Ocean Of Sharks.
I also followed these 30+ Blogger-Sharks Spouting Oceans of Knowledge… and still follow some.
I’ve come quite far in my blogging journey. I’ve built a solid business from it.
The thing that really amazes me it that most people think blogging is a quick way to earn money.
But blogging is NOT a quick way to earn money… not at first.
In today’s post, I am going to share a few things I’ve learned about blogging and earning money online. I will reveal how I earn money through blogging, explain what blogging really is (the essence of blogging), and hopefully give you some ideas about how you can increase your blogging strategy and income streams.
By the end of the post, you should have most of your questions answered! Of course, chances are, you will likely have a bunch of new ones! LOL
But at least you will know more about how to earn money online!
WTF is Blogging?
Blogging is more than just writing articles (also called blog posts) and publishing them online.
If you’re a blogger, you likely already know that blogging involves:
- creating and then running your own website — read Blogging Resources + How To Start a Blog (if you don’t already have one)
- learning how to install and update plugins
- moderating and replying to comments
- figuring out how to be noticed by search engines (hint: make sure you submit a sitemap to the search engines! You can use this free sitemap plugin to help you with this.)
- learning how to create images for your posts (hint: use Canva or PicMonkey to help you — they are both FREE to use!)
- learning how to take and then use screenshots in your blog posts
- learning how to use Click-to-Tweet links in your blog posts (hint: read How to Use “Click-to-Tweet” Links In Your Blog Posts (for FREE))
- figuring out who to link to within your posts (promote your friends, but also link to top posts in Google that provide good information or complement your message)
- determining how to promote your posts on social media (hint: you have to have accounts everywhere!)
- learning why networking with other bloggers is important (especially “blogger-sharks” — the big bloggers who you constantly learn from — such as the ones in
- doing guest posting (and following proper guest posting etiquette)
- providing value to your audience
- growing your audience (usually by offering them an incentive to sign up to your mailing list, such as a freebie or a content upgrade)
- determining which email marketing platform to use (Mailchimp, GetResponse, Aweber, MadMimi, Constant Contact, etc.)
- figuring out how to monetize your site (hint: you can start by using AdSense)
- creating content on a regular basis (remember, you can always hire someone to help you do this… such as me!)
- AND SO MUCH MORE!