Last Updated on: February 11th, 2022
I am a certified English teacher (see my credentials) and I will make your writing perfect!
I have edited numerous books in various genres (both fiction and non-fiction) for years. I’m an expert when it comes to words! I also know the differences between American English and British English, so you can be assured that your writing is edited to perfection, using the spelling and conventions in your preferred language.
I usually raise my rates once a year, in April. However, I reserve the right to change them at any time.
Types of Editing Available from Wording Well
I offer specialized editing packages to my clients, depending on their needs.
My editing services are a combined package, consisting of:
- Copy editing and line editing. These types of editing deal with sentence formation and details, including grammar, sentence and paragraph structure, and punctuation.
- Proofreading. This the final stage of editing and involves a close review of everything to catch mistakes that were missed or introduced by the other editing stages, such as typos or homonyms that were used incorrectly.
- Developmental editing. This type of editing deals with character development, plot structure, gaps that need to be filled, fact-checking, flow/continuity, clarity, substantive changes, citations, and any other improvements needed. (Note: Wording Well only offers this particular service in certain genres. Contact me for more information!
I truly believe that an editor and a writer need to be a good fit for one another. My clients love me because I am a perfectionist. (Visit that link and see what they’re saying!)
I charge a 5% surcharge on all orders. Think of this surcharge like a tax.
The Process of Hiring Me
I offer a free sample edit to clients who have a big project or book that needs editing. I do this so you can see my skills in action through the edits I make and the comments or suggestions I give you. I use the Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word so you can view each edit I make. I also use the Comments feature in Word to communicate with you directly in the document at particular spots.
I generally ask to see the first chapter so that I can assess the strength of the writing and determine how much editing will be needed.
I then customize a package and a payment plan for you.
If you are interested in hiring me as your editor, this is the process to follow, to get the ball rolling:
1. Email me and tell me as much as you can about your project, including the total (or approximate) word count, and the type of English you would like me to use (American or British English).
2. Please let me know if you are on a deadline. I might not be able to fit you into my schedule. Before I agree to work with you or take on your project, I will likely ask you a few other questions. Your answers will determine my response.
3. I will reply to you with my availability. If we can agree on a time frame that works for you, you can then attach the first chapter to your next email so I can provide you with a sample edit.
4. I will edit the first 300-1200 words for you, for free, using the Track Changes feature in Word. Along with my feedback, I will send you the details of the projected project fees. I will also create a payment plan (usually of 4 equal payments) for you.
5. If you decide you want to leverage my expertise to improve your writing and make your book perfect, you will then remit the first payment to me. In some cases, I will ask for a deposit (usually $200-300 USD) so you can hold your place in my calendar queue. This amount will be deducted from your first payment.
My Editing Rates for Blog Posts and Children’s Books (includes the 5% surcharge)
– $36.71 per post or book, up to 999 words (flat rate)
– $55.09 post for posts or books that contain 1000-1499 words (flat rate)
– $73.46 per post for posts or books that contain 1500-1999 words (flat rate)
– $91.84 per post for posts or books that contain 2000-2499 words (flat rate)
BUY NOW! (NOTE that the 5% surcharge is already included in the price!)
My Editing Rates for Projects Longer than 2500 Words
Here is where a tailored package comes into play because I will create a quote for you that is based on the strength of your writing, which I will assess during the sample edit.
Generally speaking, my rates for line/copy editing and proofreading (a combination of both services) range from two-and-a-half cents per word ($0.025 per word) to four-and-a-half cents per word ($0.045 per word), depending on the strength of your writing, which I will assess during the sample edit.
However, if developmental editing is required, the range is then five to ten cents per word ($0.05-0.15 per word), depending on the amount of editing that needs to be done, which will be assessed as I go through your manuscript. In cases where developmental editing is required, I will initially give you a quote on the lower end of this range, and alter it if a substantial amount is necessary.
To give you a rough idea of what you will be charged (using the minimum amount to the maximum amount range), look at the fees below:
= $315-450 for 10,000 words (10000 x 0.03 x 1.05 to 10000 x 0.045 x 1.05)
= $630-900 for 20,000 words
= $945-1350 for 30,000 words
Please note that the 5% surcharge is included.
Also, note that a $200 minimum deposit is required when ordering these services from my website. However, most orders will require a 25%, 50%, or 100% up-front payment, depending on the length. Please see the next section for more details. If you have questions, it’s best to simply email me.
Note that I will not edit science-fiction or fantasy. I have no interest in those genres. However, I can recommend the Mercenary Proofreader for those genres, as they are Thomas Weaver’s specialties.
For extreme developmental edits in genres in which I prefer NOT to work, I can recommend one of several other editors I know that specialize in that type of editing, such as those mentioned in this complete list of editors who specialize in different areas.
Payment Policy for Editing Services
I accept payments in US dollars using the PayPal system, which is safe, secure, and free to use. It does not require an account and accepts credit cards.
Most orders will require a 25% up-front payment. I can either create an invoice for you or simply send you a customized link that you can use to remit the payment.
Other Things You Should Know
I offer a “one-stop-shop” package for authors, that include various author assistant services in addition to editing, such as formatting e-books for Amazon, formatting print books for KDP, and cover design services. Please refer to this page for more information about those services and how much they cost.
I also reserve the right to change my rates at any time, to be more in accordance with the one suggested by the Editorial Freelancers Association.
My clients love my attention to detail and my ability to catch errors most people miss. Be sure to check out my Testimonials page to see what others are saying about me!