Last Updated on: April 26th, 2019
Do you want to become an author?
Great! Let me help!
I can help you become an author by:
* Creating relevant digital or print books for your business (which you can either give away for free on your site as an incentive to gain more subscribers OR sell on Amazon, Selz, or elsewhere).
* Turning your digital books into print books (see below for more information).
I’ve already helped others do these things!
The process is easy but requires many steps.
Here are the steps, in order.
How to Become an Author (with my help)
Step 1: Create a Digital Book
This is the easy part. 😉
1. Decide upon a topic for the book.
2. Write the book.
3. Edit the book.
4. Create a cover for the book.
5. Format it for the site on which it will be sold.
I can help you with each of these steps.
My rates vary, depending on what you want me to do.
Note that all prices are subject to a 5% surcharge, which is automatically included in the prices in the BUY NOW button below!
My writing rates can be found here. (You can purchase this service on that page, too!)
My editing rates can be found here. (You can purchase this service on that page, too!)
Because I’m not a graphics designer, you will need to hire a pro designer to do this part of your book for you. I can, however, recommend a few awesome people you can use.
NOTE: If you plan on selling your book on Amazon (via KDP), you need to make sure the book must be long enough to do so. The minimum page length for books is 24 pages that are 5 x 8″ in size.
Step 2: Format Your E-book for Amazon
The fee for formatting your e-book for Amazon depends on the length of the book.
Fees begin at $75 USD. This is for an e-book of up to 25000 words.
For every 5000 words, an additional charge of $10 USD will be applied.
NOTE that words are counted in increments of 5000-word chunks ONLY. This means the charge for a 40000-word book would be $75 + 30 = $115.
Step 3: Turn Your E-book into a Print Book
There is a bit to the process of turning a digital book into a print book, but it can be done!
I personally use CreateSpace to help others become self-published authors, but you can choose any POD (print on demand) company.
Self-publishing through CreateSpace is easy, overall, but involves many steps, various costs, and a fair bit of time, usually one to two months. The great thing about self-publishing is that it allows you to have control over each aspect of your book.
We’d each have our own responsibilities to carry out during the process, too.
YOU would be responsible for:
- Creating your account.
- Filling out your taxation information.
- Setting up your distribution channels once all book files have been proofed and approved.
- Determining the selling price of your book.
- Obtaining an appropriate ISBN (International Standard Book Number) for your book, which you must do on your own. US residents can choose to buy ISBNs for their books, or get a free one assigned from KDP. Learn more here. All ISBNs are free to Canadian citizens. Learn more here.
- Designing your own cover (or paying someone else to do this). You are welcome to use my designer. I can put you in touch with him.
- Providing me with all files related to your book.
To turn the book into a print book, there are several different things that need to be done that I can help you with.
I would be responsible for:
Formatting the text, then digitally proofing your book using KDP’s online print previewer:
The book’s text (the interior file) needs to be formatted in accordance with KDP’s guidelines. Then, the book’s cover and interior files need to be uploaded separately and then the book needs to be proofed, using the online viewer, to ensure the spacing and page numbers are correct. This is a necessary part of the process because you want your book to look perfect, like a regular book, don’t you?
COST: $150+ USD for a 5 x 8″ book, depending on the length of the book
Prices begin at $150 for a book of 25 000 words (or less).
For every 5000 words, an additional charge of $25 USD will be applied.
NOTE that words are counted in increments of 5000-word chunks ONLY. This means the charge for a 40000-word book would be $150 + 75 = $225, before the 5% surcharge is added on.
Prices are more expensive for books of other sizes. (5 x 8″ books are recommended.) The cost for other sizes is $250 for a book of 25 000 words (or less). For every 5000 words, an additional charge of $40 USD will be applied.
TIME: 2-5 days
What I need for the digital proofing part is:
1. A Word document of the text file AND the font you want to use in your book. Times New Roman and Arial are the most popular choices.
2. Your existing cover image, as a print-ready PDF.
3. The ISBN number of your book.
The following service is OPTIONAL:
Cover Creation + Cover Formatting (KDP wants a print-ready PDF that includes the front and back cover together, along with measurements for the book spine):
COST: $250, as I work with a special graphics artist to make this happen. (You just pay me once for this, and I pay the designer.)
TIME: 2-6 weeks, depending on the availability of the cover designer
Payment Policy for Author Assistant Services
I accept payments in US dollars using the PayPal system, which is safe, secure, and free to use. It does not require an account and accepts credit cards.
Your Next Steps
1. Check out my Testimonials page to see what others are saying about me!
2. Use the email given on my Contact page to reach me so that I can begin helping you become an author! 🙂
3. Buy now! Then email me at [email protected] (this is my favorite email address, as I LOVE Gmail) and let me know what you need. Be sure to tell me you paid me, too! (The notification from PayPal goes to my other email address, [email protected].)
NOTE: I ALSO WRITE PRESS RELEASES AND NEWSPAPER ARTICLES!
Here is a sample of something I wrote for Maxwell Ivey (which was published verbatim). I helped Max with all three of his books (shown in the picture below the newspaper clipping):
Read Max’s comment in this Facebook post (look at the very bottom of the page to access it):
You can hire me to write your press release, too! See my writing rates here.