Last Updated on: July 15th, 2017
I am earning passive income with this website.
I promised you in another post that I was going to tell you how I earn money by doing absolutely NOTHING, and today’s the day I reveal how I’m doing this.
I’ll provide some steps for you to follow so that you can earn passive income, too, using AdSense, and I’ll also tell you of some other ways you can make money blogging, using other methods.
Of course, you’ll have to do some initial work before you can reap the rewards.
How I’m Earning Money
In July 2014, I installed some AdSense code on about a dozen of my Wording Well blog posts. I chose the posts that are high-ranking in Google Search, as I get hundreds of referrals from Google every day. (I pay attention to my blog stats!)
Sure, I had to write some fantastic posts first.
And then learn how to install some code on my posts.
For a non-techie such as myself, it wasn’t as difficult as I had thought it would be.
Now I’m earning money by doing absolutely NOTHING. It’s great!
Here’s how I’m doing it.
How You Can Earn Money by Doing Nothing (Using AdSense): A Step-by-Step Tutorial (with extra steps in the Video below)
1. Write an awesome post that will put your website on the map. (Then write a few more. Repeat often.)
2. Apply for an AdSense account. You will need three things: a Google account (a gmail address), some content (posts on your website to monetize), and a valid mailing address (for verification purposes).
3. Wait for approval.
4. Connect your AdSense account to your bank account. (You want to get paid, right?)
5. Verify all information using the directions AdSense provides. They’ll email you with instructions. They’ll also snail mail you an additional verification code.
This takes a bit of time, and is one of the reasons you should NOT put off beginning this process!!!
6. Install some code on your blog posts. This code will show ads to your audience. Your readers will then click on those ads. You’ll earn each time someone does. The video below shows you how to do this.
7. Wait for your AdSense account to reach the earnings threshold.
8. Reap the financial rewards! (A deposit will be made into your bank account when you’ve reached the earnings threshold.)
AdSense (Google AdSense) is an advertising placement service by Google. The program is designed for website publishers who want to display targeted text, video or image advertisements on website pages and earn money when site visitors view or click the ads.
The advertisements are controlled and managed by Google and Web publishers simply need to create a free AdSense account and copy and paste provided code to display the ads. Revenue using AdSense is generated on a per-click or per-impression basis. It is free to become a verified website publisher in the Google AdSense program.
~ read more at Webopedia’s Google Adsense
Google Adsense use both text ads and image ads. These ads are payed for by advertisers who want to promote their business, products, services, etc… Since these advertisers pay different prices for each ad they want to promote, the amount that you earn will vary each time someone clicks on the ad.
There are a couple of terms you want to get familiar with.
CPC (Cost Per Click) – Each time an ad is clicked, the advertiser is charged that amount.
CPM (Cost Per Thousand Impressions) – What an advertiser is charged for every 1,000 readers, viewers, or listeners.
AdSense Made Easy
When I first heard about AdSense, I didn’t act immediately. I put it on my “To Do” list, then I forgot about it for a while. Big mistake.
I finally got around to beginning the process of setting it up. Yes, it takes a bit of time to go through all the steps, but they are not hard steps to execute! When I realized this, I gave it a go.
Greg Narayan from Dear Blogger made a video that shows you how to get set up.
Possible Problems and Solutions
You might run into some problems, depending on the country in which you live, but Canadians and Americans are generally approved right away.
Related Articles that Solve Problems
Here are three articles that I’d recommend reading:
10 Simple Tips to Avoid Violating Google Adsense TOS (Wording Well note: TOS is an acronym for “Terms of Service”)
Other Ways to Earn Money through Blogging
It’s tough trying to learn how to earn money through your website. Everyone has an opinion on the *best* way to earn.
Of course, if any of you follow Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income, you’ll know that the *best* ways to earn money is to earn through multiple channels.
Most bloggers do this. They:
- create products (like Elna Cain’s Write Your Way to Your First 1K course)
- offer services for which they are qualified (like I do with writing and editing)
- create e-books and sell them using various platforms (like Maxwell Ivey, the blind blogger, who wrote an awesome motivational e-book/workbook combo… and Ryan Biddulph, who has written a series of blogging e-books)
- offer speaking services
- earn money through affiliate links, by promoting others’ products and/or services
- creating membership sites (like Carol Tice’s Freelance Writing Den)
- they use one or more of the 270 ways to make money online
- they do something else not mentioned here… such as one of the ways mentioned in The Essence of Blogging (+ How to Earn Money Online)
Will earning through AdSense make you rich? Probably not. But it’s sure nice to earn some “free” money… for doing absolutely nothing!
Maybe one day I’ll earn as much as Daily Blog Tips and Daily Writing Tips do. 😉 They are getting around one million (or more) monthly page views, though, so I’m not sure if that day will come anytime soon.
But you never know what the future holds. 🙂
I just might start making money using YouTube! I’ve heard some good feedback regarding the video tutorial I made a couple of weeks ago on how to customize the size of your blog post images.
Give YOUR Input
How do YOU earn money through YOUR website? What is your *best* revenue stream?
Share in the comments IF YOU DARE, and let us all learn from one another!
I will accept donations if you feel like thanking me for this information!